21 March 2010

A Frock and some Bookaholism

Frock-retail sale, improved by moi
Lime fishnets-no idea! They seem to have just appeared like magic!
Shoes-Trade Me
Handbag-gift from Justine
Scarf-opshopped
Necklace-made by moi out of parts sourced in London and Nevada, and playing nice by being around the wrong way! Boo.
Flower-retail


And now-book love!! As inspired by Vix !!


These are my cookbooks,they reside above a cupboard in the kitchen.I also have a pile of smaller ones, plus some cocktail books, and a 70's tome on fondue. I have loads of cut out recipes from magazines stuck into school exercise books,a habit inherited from my mum,who was a great instinctual cook.


These reside under a small table in the lounge. Taschen are ok by me too!!!I must note that books are really expensive here.I buy secondhand or online at Amazon.


The next photo's are an attempt to show the eclectic collection on my bookshelf.Not a huge amount of books-I would love a room dedicated to reading,but alas,the house is not big enough-but quite varied and well loved.


Favourite authors include Lisa St Aubin de Teran,Anais Nin,Jane Austen,Tony Cohan,Thomas Hardy,Tom Robbins,Edith Wharton........


I have a lot of books on astrology,one of my many interests.


 
I have a lot of books on Frida Kahlo,Marilyn Monroe and Anais Nin too.
Also lots of crafts, interior design and fashion.
I sometimes wonder if I appear a little deranged, as my interests are so incredibly varied!
I will read almost anything; I just need, and love to read. I don't care what genre it is if it is well written.
I particularly like biographys and books on travel, art, history, culture, cooking and religion. My fave thing to do is go to the library and just pick up anyhting that looks interesting from any section. I find that I really like foreign writers, as when translated,the language is so beautiful and precise.
Reading is truly like breathing to me.
My parents,e specially my father, were the same.

X

7 comments:

Sak said...

found your blog through cat of immpossible colors. I love to see all the wonderful finds people get from opshopping. I love vintage clothes although not on me as they never suit me, but love it on others.. I see u like astrology. my grandfather is a great astrologer. almost all his predictions comes true.. have a good sunday

Vintage Vixen said...

Hello, you vision of loveliness!
Look at all those books! I want to look at "Platform Shoes" but I feel it might tip me over the edge and further fuel my passion for more ridiculous footwear. I get ridiculously excited when I spot a Taschen in a pile of second hand books, how can anyone part with tomes of such beauty?
I've ordered lots of Lisa St Aubin de Teran from Amazon in your honour.
Love the green tights and the pretty frock. I need green tights and I shall check out the website too.
Glad you had a fun night. We're off for teppenyaki next weekend, never had it before.
Speak soon (I hope)!
Vix
xxx

Lily said...

Hi Helga!
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I love love love love love your green tights! I don't think I've ever seen green tights before. They are truly awesome.

Loulou said...

Ah, so many books! As a committed and lifelong bibliophile, I must approve and note that I would love to dive into that collection. I really must go to the local library and pick up some of their ex-catalogue books which took my fancy the other day - at 60p for a hardback, rude not to surely? xx

giddynici said...

What a fantastic book collection. You'll never be at a lose no matter the reading mood you are in! x

Disco Goth said...

Another nosey at some lovely books, thank you =) x

Helga said...

Book freaks unite!!!
Vix,say after me "there is no such thing as too many shoes".Repeat ad nauseum!!!