27 April 2010

Handbags!

I really love handbags.I just adore these vessels that transport my daily needs around,that look so cute and sometimes so glamourous,that are so practical and sometimes so utterly frivolous.......I have some early photos of myself at age 5 going to Sunday School(feck knows why)with handbags and boots that either matched or co-ordinated beautifully.(I really must do some scanning.You all simply must check out my Mummy.She was some hot babe.She died before I owned a digital camera.)
These baskets sit on my bookshelf and hold rather a lot of handbags.If you wish me to empty these and display their contents,just say.........
Looking into the corner of my sewing room,by the bay window.Some of my favourites are on the wall;G put up some cute hooks for me so they could be displayed........
To the right of the bay window.None of these handbags cost me more than $5,and all of these have been in my possession for at least 10 years.
All but 1 of my baskets.These are in the foyer,upon the faux Chinese cabinet.
A few behind my sewing/dressing room door.They live with the hairdryer.I just don't have anywhere else to put them right now.G doesn't like me hanging crap on the back of doors,but I'm afraid needs must.
The top right one is the one I currently use the most.Practical due to being black,it cost me $4 at an opshop,and the label inside says "So obviously Rex".This must have been a popular brand way back when.I have had 2 ladies comment on it,saying "Oh,you have a Rex!" and seemingly very surprised by the fact.I can't find out any information on the brand at all.I can only surmise(am I making that word up?!) that they were pretty common-camelia has one too!-and that they were probably a cheap version of something flasher,as they are made of vinyl.
Funnily enough,if someone asks me if I collect anything,I say no.....but I guess I actually do.Handbags,shoes,clothes........I suppose I do collect them,but not conciously nor for any purpose such as investment or whatever.I just freakin' love them and just can't get enough!!!
Yee!!!




11 comments:

Sak said...

yay!! I love it. love those multicolored storage baskets.

Camelia Crinoline said...

I love my So obviously Rex bag, it's big enough to fit everything I need in it. Looking at how many you have I would definitely say you collect handbags, I don't think you need to collect for a purpose. Love is enough.

Ivy Black said...

God, girl...I thought I was a handbag nutter!
I recall my first bag and it was a basket not unlike the one on the left of your piccie.It was had a ginghma lining and I was five years old! Then I had one of my mums, also a glam hottie back in the day...a suede patchwork creation that I took my stuff to primary school in when everyone else had a duffle bag.
I'll stop now or it will turn into Bags I Have Known!
x

Rosina Lee said...

Oh I have a Rex too! in brown with key etc still intact! They go for a bit now in some stores, I recently saw one in Wellington for $80:(, Andrea also has one.

Smashingbird said...

Love the idea of hanging them on the wall, might have to pinch that one!

LaLa said...

I am drooling over that Rex handbag, I thought I'd found one for sale but sadly someone has already bought it :*( *sniff*

Alex said...

Isn't G good eh? I love the hooks on the walls, such a simple idea to show off such lovely things.

Vintage Obsession said...

omg! is that the best room or what ?? I am so in love with it :-) love the way everything is arranged and the colorful bags is so gorgeous :)

Louise said...

Oh my... I want to come to your house and play in your handbag pile. My mum would be in handbag heaven there. How many do you have? and yes of course we want to see the ones in the baskets. I love that little embroidered number in the first picture by the way.

Prutha said...

omg!!! i want ur handbag closet rigt now!!! sooo coollll

http://donotshoeme.blogspot.com/

follow if u like what u see?

happy day!!

xoxo

Helga! said...

How many do I have,Louise??O dear,I think I'm afraid to speculate,let alone count.....!!!
Ivy,"Bags I have Known" is a great idea for a post,or a tag.Hmmm!!
Rosina-I'm very jealous that your Rex has a key!Looks like the Rexes are popular!That's cos they are so sweet!