Opshopping can be a Bitch!

Yet another dreary, downtown day.
But, at the end of my forty foot leash.....is my little friend....

The wee sweetie and I went out for an opshopping expedition today. She was rather disciplined, due to her overloading of frocks and fabrics, an item simply had to be indespensible before she'd buy it. I had the same intention, but ended up with a pile of loot for which I have no room! Too bad, I'll squeeze it in somewhere! After all, a girl can never have too many frocks, handbags, shoes, fabric, jewellry, underwear, etc, etc............ad nauseum!!!
I guess I'm just a "more is more" kinda gal!

I love Brodie's ecletic ensemble. Gorgeous blue lace frock, with a pink cardi, cream (amazing) wedges she got from Etsy, I think she may have 2 layers of tights, and am awesome handbag that was a vanity bag and I think made of canvas?? I admire her for not being strung up by matchy-matchy like I am! I am inspired!

She did find the most divine cape. I'm hoping she blogs it tomorrow!!

Beret-opshopped
Scarf-opshopped
Coat-G's nana's, inherited
Tights-Ballantynes
Shoes-Trade Me
Handbag-opshopped, vintage
We had a great time together. I'm old enough to be her Mum, but we have a lot in common, such as being cheapskates, lazy when sewing, accumulators of fabric amongst other things. We will try and make opshopping days a regular get-together!
My loot:
Tweed heels! White slip on heels!

Ridiculously practical wedges! Brodie and I agree on never going anywhere that a heel can't be worn,if we can help it. And a fabulous frock.(G and I have been invited tramping by some old hippy friends of ours in Dunedin. G is keen; I am not on account of it being 4 days, and I cannot go that long with frocks, heels, makeup and a bouffant hair do. And a cocktail in hand.)
(Note the brown wedges and the pink tweed heels are "Pulp" brand.That is the brand of a "high st" shoe store called Hannahs.They have some great styles, and I have quite a lot that I have found 2nd hand, or on sale.)
These fabulous 70's tumblers. Most excellent for camping/picnics.

70's frock, left. It needs shortening a little. Modern frock in 50's style, right. It'll get a gentle makeover with some pretty trim, I think.

70's frokc, left, with huge stain at hem, which is fine as it needs to be a little shorter. On the right is an odd frock. Early 60's style, but 70's fabric. A little big, it needs taking in.

This 60's/70's (?)*number seems a little drab,but it has a nice, comfy fit, and I do quite like brown from time to time. A little brown bird, I am not, but occasionally I find it kinda comforting.

Brodie and I had a brief conversation about shoes or sandals with socks. I quite like this look, but was worried about being mutton dressed as lamb. This is a rare occurence for me. Brodie assured me I could pull it off. So I will try it one of these days.
*I find it difficult to date 20th century frocks sometimes. Pre 20's is fairly easy, but then fashions seemed to move so fast, and there is a lot of cross-over, so I get a little lost. I should really study up on it,I guess. I did costume history at Polytech, but at that time was waaaaay into Directoire and early Victorian costume and was thinking I might get into Costume Design. But then, getting a little work experience at the Christchurch Court Theatre and with my friend Gillian, I decided I couldn't be arsed !!!! I have a weird rebellious streak that means that I can't do what I love for a job, as, the minute I feel I "have" to do something, there is nothing I want to do less. So it would ruin my pleasure in historical costume to have anything to do with it for a living!!!
Bugger!
Band practice tonight. I have a frock in mind...........
But first,must make a greek stlye salad with prawns, orzo, feta, lemon, olive oil, mint,tomato and parsley, as we are having a pot luck dinner first.
How very civilised!
ta-ta, darlings!

9 comments:

KibitzKnitz said...

Quiche Lorraine!! You look fabulous all 'matchy-matchy'; I wish I had that kind of discipline to look so wonderfully pulled together as you do. I also don't have the discipline required to not bring home 6 more items from going out shopping, either. :^)

Camelia Crinoline said...

I had a lovely time opshopping today. We must do it again soon. I love your matchy-matchy. It looks so wonderfully put together.

Kandi said...

You look fab in Purple! I am on holiday and supposed to be checking the weather forecast on the laptop(blooming rain!!) but just had to check up on you all.
Kandi x

Disco Goth said...

You both look fabulous! I like the mismatched look but I always end up unmatched rather than mismatched which is why I team everytthing with black. I was very disciplined today - one dress and one record =)


x

Louise said...

I love both of your outfits, mathcy matchy and colour mixing are both equally good in my view. I also love the tweed shoes, what a purchase and even though you say the brown dress is a bit drab, I love it! You got a real stash there!

giddynici said...

You both look fab and I especially like both of your bags.

Looks like you got a fantastic haul on your shopping trips. Lots of lovely dresses and those tumblers are very cool.

x

Helga! said...

Yay,matchy matchy is obviously nothing to be ashamed of!!!

Vintage Vixen said...

Those frocks, those shoes, the tumblers....arghhh! I need to come op-shopping with you, I have no restraint either so together we could amass so much crap and not give a hoot.
Pulp shoes? Wonder if Jarvis had a hand in designing them?
I'm totally miss-matched and do so envy those that can match. Nothing in my wardrobe matches anything else 'cos I'm such a schizo shopper.
Vix
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PS Lurve the brown frock at the end so much, it's crying out for a ginormous orange hair bow and matching fishnets!!!!

Miss Smilla said...

What great finds! I'm a bit matchy matchy to when it comes to clothes - I always get ridiculously excited when I find an item of clothing that will match exactly something else!