Addicted to the Women about the House


As I have mentioned several times, Man about the House re-runs have been playing every weeknight at 6:30pm. I have loved this show since I was a kid, and also watched the spin off's George and Mildred and Robin's Nest. As is well known, or should be, by now, Mildred Roper is one of my Style Icons. What is less known is that Chrissie, the dark haired lassie is too, though she isn't quite as uber-spectacular as dear Mildred. I am definetly having an obsession with these ladies right now, and have been looking for images on the net, but alas, there are few to be found. Frankly, I'm disgusted! The 70's may be known as "the decade that taste forgot", but I'd personally like to slap the person who coined that phrase and have them change it to "the decade that dazzles like a disco ball with innovational styles and daring use of synthetics". If I just have one fossick, just one moments fossick in Mildred's wardrobe, it'd be a dream come true!!

On other matters, Llara , the doll, has tagged/passed onto me this award thingy:

Choice!!!

I, like her, am not sure what it's about, but what the hell, better to be looked over than overlooked, ay?!

I have to tell you 10 things about myself, and pass it onto some other fab bloggers.

Hmmmm, 10 things you don't know about me?!

Dang, I shared 2 yesterday!

Ok, here goes:

1: I love making up dumb ass lyrics, to existing or original songs. The ruder the better.

Example?

" Hangin' down the clubhouse, flat on yer back, they all take a turn....

Black and red lace underwear, and you're gargling on sperm..."

(verse 2, "Emmet St Slapper" by the Swamp Donkeys, one of our old bands.)

2: I hold a certificate in astrology, having done a 3 years part time course.

3: My right booboid is smallerthan my left

4: I don't like deep, dark water

5: I once played bass guitar in my underwear in a band called Nunsfart

6: I thought the word malevolent was pronounced male-volent well into my adult years

7: I love it when they brawl in rugby

8: I can't bring myself to eat oysters

9:I consider Pink Floyd to be over-rated (sorry, lovers of the Floyd, they just don't do it for me

10: I like lizards, and snakes, and I don't like German Shepherds.

There!

Hmmmm...as for tagging..........um, I tag everyone on my blog roll who hasn't received this award thingy!!! Even those who have never heard of me, and assholes who have but don't deign to say hello!!!

X

18 comments:

Ivy Black said...

I love Man About the House and Chrissie was always my favourite when I was little. I wanted to be like her when I had my own flat!! And how gorgeous was Paula Wilcox...those eyes? Still is too. Saw her in Rock and Chips a while back and she's still got it.
As for Mildred...an International Treasure.....much like yerself, love!
xxx

Straight Talking Mama! said...

Ah it's years since I watched Man about the House, Mildred was quite unique I loved her!

Nelly said...

Oh the memories ate?
Tell me helga where is that jolly bag at thats doing the rounds?I think I better go back and check the list and see who need my address and get the next peron after me

Perdita said...

I agree...the 1970s rocked style-wise. I reckon it's just that most people remember the 70s whereas the 40s-60s is rose-tinted-specs due to distance. The 70s rocked because they were all about knocking over conventions and being loud and proud!!

sacramento said...

You are so unique, I could hug you tight right now.
yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Penny Dreadful said...

Man About the House was brilliant. I think Miss Peelpants might have some pictures of Chrissie on her blog. Hurrah for rugby brawls! xx

Kitty said...

I looked for MATH (!) pics last night too!! Also to no avail, they were all pretty crap I thought. Will be putting my Sally-Thomsett-inspired outfit post up later tonight. Hope you are enjoying the new kitties.xx.

Misfits Vintage said...

Oh those girls are so gorgeous - I remember loving them as a kid too - they were so glamorous. What about Margot from The Good Life - she could rock a caftan and some big hair like nobody's business!

No outfit pic today? That's unusual for your Lady Helga!

Love, Sarah xxx

Miss Peelpants said...

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee. You're really talking my language there, lady.

I LOVE M.A.T.H., and have curiously ended up with a few items of clothing which I recognise from the series. Including a Biba blouse which you can just see above (in the bottom right picture) and a Biba dress, and Varon dress which the two girls wear in the house party episode.

My holy grail has got to be Mildred's banana print trousers though...

Alex said...

I must admit that a lot of 70's stuff does still scare me but an increasing number of pointy collars and crazy patterns are making their way into my wardrobe. Now to venture up enough courage to wear them!

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Is it bad to say I investigated your blog because I liked your name? Now I'm here I recognise you as a friend of the lovely Vix, so should probably have found you before now. I'm quite fond of the 70s, what with being born then. My parents just laugh about some of the clothes I've been buying recently - I guess I'll feel the same if my 3 year old ever rocks up in 90s stripey tights, and not just cos he's a boy.

Congrats on your award, I just got it too, and need to rack my brains for oddments I'm willing to share. Worry not about male-volent - I'm pretty good at word pronunciation, but was under the impression that the Elgin Marbles were large spherical rocks (hence - actual marbles) for years!

VainGlorySinner said...

I have never in my entire life seen 'Man About The House' as I was born in the late 80's, so sadly I cannot comment on that subject!

But yay! I see I am on your b(l)og roll! I always get so stuck thinking up things about myself! I think I will go the easy route and think of simple thing :p

Great song lyrics! Me and my other half are also in the habit of making songs dirty haha! Love it!

I am 100% with you on the deep and dark water thing. When I was on a family holiday in Tenerife when I was about 12, I swam out to a large rock in the ocean with my brother. I looked down with my goggles and I couldn't see a thing! Images of giant squid and sharks were flashing through my head and I swam like crazy back to the shore! Awful, awful, awful! xxx

seƱora Allnut said...

funny to know more about you!, and I'm also watching The Roper at the moment! (a friend lend me the complete dvd series!), and coming in a nostalgic mood with all that humour and colorful Mildred outfits (I'm in love with some of her bananas print pants!, so yellow!)
loving to read you, and laughing a lot with your anecdotes!!
besos

Vintage Coconut said...

I am gonna see if I can find some episodes of this show on the internet! It looks amusing!!!

Smoked OYSTERS are delicious Helga!! I woun't eat raw ones.. just the thought gives me the heebie jeebies!

La Dama said...

I seen this show briefly and the women wear such gorgeous dresses and their hair is to die for.
oooh love the Astrology part,tell me about us Cappys.
This made me crack up.( I once played bass guitar in my underwear in a band called Nunsfart.)
So many funny sides to you amor.

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

I love your "Safety Pants" song that Sarah Misfit quoted - I was singing it when I was having a rare sort-out today and discovered yes ... some safety pants!!! Watch this space. I had a boyfriend once who completely "ruined" some classic tunes for me - even twenty years on I still sing Sinatra "I've got you, under my foreskin" (try it - you won't be able to stop!!!) xoxoxoxoxxo

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dearest Helga, I love hearing more about you and you have excellent taste in TV! xx

Smashingbird said...

I love Man about the House too. I hope there is pictorial evidence of Nunsfart, I'll be rather disappointed if not!