Mooning as an occupation can be hazardous




I've been alternately singing Cheap Trick's "I want you to want me" and Simply Red's something-or-other hideous song about coming home to you all day. One made me jump up and down a bit, the other made me want to punch someone, anyone in the gonads.



Actually, what is Mick Hucknall's excuse for living?!



The fact that I even know his name makes me anxious.



No offence if he, and his band, do it for you, but I have wondered for many years why:



a) no one has ever knocked off Phil Collins and



b) why does Mick Hucknall think he is god's gift to the world?


Not that Phil Collins has anything to do with it.



And nor should he.



He shouldn't have anything to do with anything, really. he should have just stayed behind his bloody drumkit where he was actually doing some good.



Hmm.



Wearing:



Frock-vintage, ophopped on Saturday. Bloody comfy.



Scarf-opshopped



Scarf clip-vintage, opshopped



Stripey socks-the laden with chutzpah Sarah



Boots-gifted


Beret-Madame Butterfly's






Spotty wotty?









I flogged the latest Fashion Quarterly (an NZ fashion publication, published...you guessed it!) from a cafe where Justine and I had coffee the other day.



I'm bad, yes, you know it.



But look at this capelet!!



I was out of control.



I want one.



I want to make one.



One of these days I freaking will.



O,speaking of "one of these days I'll get to it" kinda things, I finally had a my first attempt at crochet on Saturday morning in bed!



I can do chain stitch and slip stitch!!



Sir Harvey Wallbanger did his best to help, too.



It ain't much, but it's a start!!



Hurrah!



Maybe one day I'll be able to make a crochet capelet!!!



The possibilities are endless.



It'll be like when I got into mosiac, and wanted everything, including the bbq to be mosoiac'd.



G had to put his foot down.



***



Hey, if you don't have a pop up comment box I don't seem to be able to comment!



I've been trying on some of you lovelies today, but it just says "error on page".
Poos.



X



22 comments:

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

I believe Mick Hucknall to be some kind of reassurance to the human race than even if you resemble a malevelent gnome, you can still be successful and pull the girls. Possibly as a result of dark magic though, it has to be said.

It must also be said that your hair looks glorious in these pictures. Loving your spots and stripes combo also. Congrats on the crochet - I COULD make flowers, squares and hearts, but having not done any for about a month, I feel my undrestanding seeping away again. Bugger.

Kitty said...

Mick Hucknall has always been a waste of precious oxygen, but serves to remind the rest of us how fabulous we really are. (can you hear my superior yet knowing tone of voice? I hope so). Lovely capelet, speaking of red and white, I just missed out on an awesome pair of 60s red and white polka dot shoes last night, bugger. I want to increase my shoe collection up to 150 pairs this year, wish me luck!

Vintage Vixen said...

You look beautiful in red, darling and I love the Slocombe-esque cravat and the stripy socks, total awesomeness.
You can crochet already? You are a clever bunny, that capelet will be yours very soon.
I heard a story about Mick Hucknall via Peter Hook of New Order/ Joy Division fame. Pete was on door of the Hacienda one night when he saw a hand raised in the air and a shrill voice shouting "Make way, make way, Mick Hucknall coming through" and lo an behold Mick appeared thinking he was God. The bouncer promptly punched him in the face and threw him out. Ha!
Love you & speak soon.
Vix
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rose&Bird said...

@ Vix - Ha ha, love that story!

Sorry, Helga, I can't shed light on the point of Mick or Phil either. I do remember changing Easy Lover to Cheesey Lover and singing it at work with my then best friend at regular intervals. God knows why, but it seemed funny at the time!

Cute cape and well done on the crochet, I can only manage a chain, then I get stuck.

Love Liz x.

Perdita said...

I get that way about crafts too. I got into glass painting last year and nothing transparent was safe!!

I love the idea of a capelet. Love it. Make one, make one!

...and as for Phil. Yep, amazingly talented drummer, but then he had to go all 'front man' and spoil it.
Hucknell set back the course of red-hair awareness by decades, living up to that stereotype that we are annoying and whiny. Grrr.

Rachel - Firebird said...

I'm besotted with polka dots at the moment and they look awesome with those tights.

The whole concept of Mick Hucknell forever confuses me. All those amazing people at the Sex Pistols's infamous Free Trade Hall gig went on to do amazing things (Tony Wilson, Morrissey, Paul Morley, Ian Curtis...) and then there was Mick, who turned out like... Well you said it!

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

At last someone who hates Phil Collins as much as me! If I EVER hear myself singing "Can you feel it..." I just want to stab my eyes out!!!! I know, that's so extreme but I think I'm encouraged to be emotional after seeing the CAPE that looks like it's covered in sticky dots. I want it!!! Oh my fecking god you're learning crochet? Can you recommend a book? I want to try after seeing Sarah's gorgeous goodies. Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!! And I want a pussy too!!!!! xoxoxoxxo

Miss Peregrin said...

A crochet capelet would be amazing! One day, when I get past the wonky rectangle stage of crocheting, I might have to make one myself. Loving the polka-dot ensemble - and of course the fab socks!

Scarlett Fontaine said...

oh my you summed up my feelings on mick and phil too, people i worked with couldnt undertand my hate of them, glad im not alone! Although did get a bit scared when my son aged 2 months stopped crying to listen to phil on the radio - eek! He has recovered now though. Loving the spots and stripes! Mwah Scarlett x

Misfits Vintage said...

FAB FROCK! Fab socks and boots! Phil and Mick are both so overrated! You are so bloody gorgeous.

Sarah xxx

Kelly said...

I do love a bit of Phil, although Huckers can do one.
How has he managed to pull some right hotties. Bleurgh!!

Love the spots and stripes, those socks are fab.

xx

Trees said...

You are rocking in that frock lady! I want a caplet too - heaps of them around the streets of Wellington at the moment.

Psycho Sue- Sew Misunderstood said...

What? I was fully expecting a picture of your ass...or someone's ass??? No mooning? LOL Okay, I guess I will just have to look at the adorableness of your outfit! LOL

Comtesse de ferveur said...

Mick Hucknell, ugh. Capelet, wowza! Red is the bomb on you! xxx

MyStyle said...

Hi there!! Wow, awesome dress, pure polka dot delightfulness!! A big thumbs down to Mick and Phil too, not my scene!! xxx

Claire said...

Yes but actually the cheap trick track is rather good.. is it the live version? sorry to bypass my chance at bitchin' about everyone's fave ginger corkscrew
Claire

Fanny Pinkleton said...

Oh you bright star! I had to come out of blog hibernation to agree with you about Mick H. What an annoying toadie he is. I'd like to sock him in the goolies.

Thanks for this post, it made me larf!
xxx

Pearl Westwood said...

Muck hucknall makes me want to vomit, why does he always have a waxy compexion like corpse with a mild sweat on?

Louise said...

There's a simply red song that actually gives me nightmares... no lie, I remember being a child and I had this nightmare that I went into the bathroom and there was a skeleton in the bath and simply red playing in the background... I've never been able to listen to the song since. Can't remember the name now! Not a bit simply red fan. xx

Crystal Lee said...

You are very wise woman! Love your polka dot ensemble, especially paired with the stripey leggings. too fun.

Vintage Coconut said...

SPOTTY spotty charmingly SPOTTY! spots spots I love spots on Helga!
=D hehehe

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Vix's story about Mick Hucknall is brilliant!

This is one of my favourite of your outfits. I absolutely love it. The stripey socks are a genius touch too xx