Squee meets a dinner out.



I received a package!


A package of goodies and love from our Vix !


Many hurrahs!



One of the items of fabulousness was this little belt!





The rest you will just have to wait and see in their full glory!!!


Bahahahaaaaaa!!


Onwards and upwards!




We went out for dinner.


It was really very nice......


But.


They made the same mistake that many Thai restaurants make, and that is that the food was too salty.


I don't know why this is a common occurence, but it is.


Thai food should be a perfect balance of sweet/salty/sour and spicey.


The service was impeccable, and we did enjoy ourselves!


I suppose it's because we've spent so much time in Thailand, and we're just Thai food snobs!


Anyway!




I wore a lovely vintage jacket that Vix sent me last year, over one of the frocks I got in Sydney.


It met with a little mishap........




G chose an awesome bottle of wine.


15% alcohol!


I was off my tits by the end of the meal.




They've redone the decor since we were last in.


I love portraits of Buddha.


The Buddha presence is one of my favourite things about Thailand; it permeates everything.




Lovely presentation!




Our entire meal!




The mishap!


A fellow diner turned out to be a woman I used to know, and also flatted with in the early (very early) 90's!


I was so excited I promptly threw my wine all over ,myself.


As you do.




The frock is just fine; I popped it in the washing machine as soon as we got home, thanks to G!


Here I am on the plot next door to the Bahn Thai.


It used to be Sweet Janes Bar and Henry Africas, but they've been demolished due to the quakey bollocks.


This is my fabulous 50's coat, one of the best gifts I've ever received.


It's the warmest coat I own!


You may notice I'm wearing these boots quite a bit lately.


That's because we are swimming in silty dirt from last Monday's quakes, and I don't want to mess up my good footwear.


And today it's turned to mud as we had some rain.


Y' see, most of Christchurch was built on swamp, and the quakes brought up what is called "liquifaction", a silty sandy muck that is rather annoying.


We've only had a little on our property, but many have been knee deep in it.


Ugh.


Today the government announced what areas of Christchurch won't be rebuilt.


So it's a big day here, and finally some closure for some people, for good or bad.


We're fine, we are in the "green" zone.


We just need some repairs, and our house needs to be re-piled.
But there are some areas where housing will be demolished and perhaps turned to wetlands, parks, we don't know yet. These areas are now under sea level, and with sea levels rising it simply isn't viable to rebuild.




So.


Right now, G is making tomorrow night's dinner (Indonesian Lamb Curry), as it is better after a day's sitting.


We have Justine and our mate James are coming for dinner!


We are dressing for cocktails, and G and I have mostly organised a cocktail menu.
Haven't figured an entree yet, but the other main will be Indian style potatoes & greens (made by me) and dessert is going to be Rote Grutz (2 dots above the U), or Red Fruit Pudding. Also made by me.


We are listening to Delaney Davidson , an amazing local who makes the most fantastic music!!


Look him up on You tube!


G is having band practice with The Luminous Fears, whom he is drumming for, tonight, and I have a Skype date.


Friday tomorrow!


Hurrah!



O!
Have you seen this latest Citizen Rosebud post?!


It's fecking awesome. I do admire ladies who can express themselves so beautifully!




X

25 comments:

Camelia Crinoline said...

I love the belt. I'm very partial to bows. I know I've said this before, but that coat is fabulous. Bummer about the liquifaction. We have been lucky so far and haven't had any.

Trees said...

Yah! I love getting packages in the mail - it always makes me smile:)

I am so glad that your house is in the green zone! Must be a very hard time for some many folks down there.

Also I am going to Phuket in January - if you can give me any tips its most appreciated ^^

Nelly said...

You look wonderful HH and what great parcels you get.Oh so sad about Christchurch

Miss Magpie said...

You are meant to drink wine not throw it about!
Love that belt it's very unusual.

Do you feel a bit guilty that your house is fine when others aren't?

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

mmmmm, the thought of Indonesian lamb curry is making me very hungry indeed.....

La Dama said...

Vixcita always always knows how to make a girl happy.
You look good in that gorgeous fur coat, I love it!
the food looks wonderfully deliciosa,I been ding to try some Thai food.
you wine waster, that happen when I'm really drunk.
I am so happy your two are in the green zone amores.

Perdita said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has mishaps!! Ha!

That meal looks faboulous. I love thai- craving some right now.

Rose&Bird said...

I did wonder if Vix had sent you a parcel recently - they seem to coincide with quakes! It's good news that your house doesn't need too much doing to it, but so sad for the folks who'll not be able to go back home.
It's so long since I've had Thai food, but it always beautifully presented. I used to work with a girl from Thailand and she told me how everyone learns how to carve vegetables into flowers and things as part of their school education.
I love that they take such pride in their culture.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your meal with friends x

LandGirl1980 said...

Arseholes to drink spillage! Woo-hoos to packages!!! :)

KibitzKnitz said...

Dear Helga! Wine on the inside, Darling!

It took me a while to get used to Thai food. We have some decent places, but I don't know enough about the food and would always end up with something that had holy basil in it! It was quite the mind trip to be eating SE Asian food with all this fresh veg and my tastebuds/brain saying' hey, Mom's Thanksgiving stuffing!' Recently, I went to a great little place when my sister was in town. The style was more like Vietnamese food (which I LOVE) and I was able to try some things I really liked.

Oh, and that Delaney Davidson? Fab! Thanks for the tip; I love hearing about great music thats new to me. Fuzzy and I really like his style. And yours; that coat is wonderful.

Young at Heart said...

oops....that's the sort of accident I generally have...love the coat...good luck with all the rocking and rolling!!

Psycho Sue- Sew Misunderstood said...

if you don't go off your tits, then it wasn't a proper night out, love! HAHA great post!

Krista said...

Off my tits!!!! I freaking love it! You are so funny, what a nice night out and Thai is one of my favorite foods, that and Indian food especially in winter, warms you from the inside out.

I love that you are also dressing for cocktails and having friends over, people should dress up more, it's so much fun!

I'm also happy to hear you are in the green zone and that life is slowly getting back to a kind of normal.

Stay beautiful my luv~
Krista

seƱora Allnut said...

It will great to see all that goodies you're going to show us!!
And love your blue-mauve-grey outfit, with the pretty floral jacket (even though the wine spot!)
And I'm a huge fan of warm delightful coats, so I'm loving yours!

Glad your home is in the Green Zone!!
besos & heat

Vintage Coconut said...

*Ahhhh* Looks like you got some lovely prezzies!
I laughed reading the part about the wine and the dress.. I just imagined myself bumping into a friend from the past and doucing myself in wine in excitement!! *LOL* Kinda like certain dogs when they get too excited they end up making wetting themselves a little!
=O

sacramento said...

How do I enjoy your wine spilling, your outfits, your wonderful belt,your fun in life little things ahhhhhhhh.
And yes, Bella´s post also touched my heart.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Alex said...

You two are determined to get me ogling pink things, aren't you? I'm trying to resist but squeeeee, the pink sparkliness of that bow!

I do love the fact you got so excited you poured a whole glass of wine on yourself. I tend to just clumsily knock it all over the table.

Dusk said...

I'm so glad that you are okay. Oh Christchurch... it's just so sad :(

I love reading your day to day stories Helga. So effortless... at the moment I am struggling to write my name when it comes to blogging!

Yes I know what you mean re Thai food and also for the same reasons... although I couldn't actualy eat Thai for a year after living there... breakfast, lunch, dinner, morning tea, afternoon tea and supper and snack in between...

Looking forward to seeing your fab gifts. You as per usual rock this joint.

Ronnie Rabbit said...

Glad your dress was ok, shame to lose that 14% wine. x

J xx said...

Hi Helga, hope you don't mind another follower? I don't know how you stay so positive with all that's happened with the quakes, I think I'd be a broken woman if it were me ! Love the coat and the sky blue accessories. The food looks wonderful, no Thai restaurants near here .. boo hoo!

Misfits Vintage said...

Ha! I was so excited to skype with you last night that I neglected to comment - how RUDE! You know this is my favourite of your fab faux furs - you always look so beautiful in it. And I adore the beautiful blue floral number as well... but my FAVOURITEST FAVOURITE is the fabulous psyechedelic floral of the first frock - I LOOOOOVE it!

Love you too, a bit, alright a lot! Sarah xxx

pastcaring said...

Glad to hear that your house/area are OK, but it must be so awful for those in Christchurch who aren't so lucky. What a shame.

But in the face of adversity, your gorgeousness just keeps on keeping on! Love the dress (good thing that wine stain came out!) and the food looks pretty good too!

Terri said...

How does the government decide what to rebuild or not?

The Thai food looks delicious. I haven't eaten enough of the real thing to know the difference, I'm afraid.

lasophia said...

Oh my gosh, that all looks great, including the mishap! haha. following you now. you cant get away.

Sophia
http://lasophialasophia.blogspot.com

the Citizen Rosebud said...

Helga! Thank you for the mention! MUAHZ!-Bella Q the Citizen Rosebud